LOCAL HISTORYLocated at the intersection of the Drinker Turnpike (now Route 611) and the Easton-Belmont Turnpike (now Route 196), the town now known as Mount Pocono began as a settlement named "Forks."
It later became known as Mount Pleasant, and in 1927 was incorporated as the borough of Mount Pocono.
A number of factors were key to the history and development of the borough:
- Regional activity resulted in the five-way junction of roads now known as "Five Points." (Where Route 611, Route 940 and Route196 meet.)
- The laying of railroad lines which connected the region with metropolitan areas of New York City and Philadelphia, key markets for the region's lumber and ice harvesting industries.
- The birth of the tourism industry, fostered by passenger rail service.
An 1860 map of Monroe County shows three houses and a post office/store at the Five Points crossroads. By 1875, the present borough location had a railroad depot, two hotels and a few houses, and the post office had moved to a location near the railroad depot.
By the mid 1900s, there were 10 thriving resorts plus a number of guest homes in Mount Pocono, with many other resorts within easy traveling distance of the town. By this time, tourism had become the chief industry of Mount Pocono.
Although the large hotel and boarding house business waned significantly as the 20th Century progressed, the Poconos were rediscovered in the late 1960s when a second era of home development began. The development of the interstate highway system more than compensated for the loss of passenger rail service to the cities.
While most of the development occurred in the townships surrounding the borough, Mount Pocono has undergone a significant change in community character as a result of the second housing boom. The increase in commercial activity and the number of housing units since 1970 has been dramatic.
–– From the Mount Pocono Comprehensive Plan